The St. Rose's Alumni Toronto Chapter has been active since the first meeting was held on May 31, 1987.
Since the early 1990's the association's mailing list has grown to over five hundred. Of these we have approximately 200-250 financially active members. (Financial members vary from year to year.)
In 1847, six Ursuline Religious and two postulants (women who want to join the convent) came to the colony of British Guiana, now the People’s Republic of Guyana, from the Ursuline Convent in Athlone, Ireland.
These six nuns, who founded St. Rose’s High School, were Mother Superior Mary Stanislaus Hearne, Mothers Mary Bernard Perry, Mary de Sales Molony, Mary Magdalen Doyle, Mary Regis O’Brien, and Mary Alphonsus O’Beirne. The two postulants were later known as Sisters Mary St. Rose Tierney and Veronica Gavin.
1867 On August 31, the Secondary School for Girls (St. Rose’s) was opened with four students.
1869 Large three-storied school built with a dormitory for boarders.
1925 Another three-storied structure was built as there were now over 500 young ladies enrolled in St. Rose’s. This structure abutted St. Rose’s School and contained a fine auditorium with graded floor and stage designed by Mother St. Catherine. It was the largest of its kind in Georgetown for many years. Funds were available through loans from Rome, England, and the generosity of the citizens of British Guiana.
1933 All children regardless of religious persuasion, race or language were accepted at St. Rose’s.
1935 First steps to the establishment of a gymnasium began when hooks and ropes suspended from the ceiling, and vaulting boxes and horizontal ladders were obtained.
1941 Bicycle stands were provided to accommodate the increased number of bicycles being ridden to school.
1941 Students and teachers were no longer required to wear stockings.
1953 The boarding school was closed and work began on a new structure to accommodate the numbers of students requiring admission.
1954 The Marian Wing was completed and officially opened on May 4.
1967 New Physics and Chemistry labs built.
1969 Three additional classrooms built above labs.
1975 Young men were accepted as students at St. Rose’s.
1976 - PRESENT St. Rose’s and all other schools became state controlled and today it remains a Government school, with a Board of Directors which includes Alumni members.
This site will be updated regularly with news and information. Thank you for your interest in St. Roses.